Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Search for the Messiah


I searched for the Messiah in churches and cathedrals with their stained-glass windows, high-ceiling domes and jutting spires as though reaching out to heavens in supplication…

But I realized that the Messiah could not be confined on cold marble, pale ceramic, twisted metal, and other handiworks of men because the earth is God’s footstool.

I searched in vain for the Messiah on the pollution-smeared skies above, the denuded mountaintops, the garbage-filled beaches, the sadness mirrored in eyes of animals doomed to die…

But I could only see the shallow traces of His creative powers in the natural world that continues to groan from its bondage of decay.

I searched for the Messiah in other people’s company, hoping that they have innate goodness in their nature that would lead me closer to my quest…

But I found out that humankind is inherently evil and humanity has been mired in sin since Adam’s fall and there is madness in the hearts of men.

I searched for the Messiah in the pleasures of this world and the path that I hoped would lead me to success, glory, and fulfillment in life…

But I realized that the search for worldly pleasures and wisdom was just the “vanity of all vanities”; that there’s nothing new under the sun; that everything is meaningless; and the same destiny overtakes all: death.
I thought I could find Him by capturing the essence of Christmas festivity which commemorates His advent…

But I got lost amid the swirl of shopping frenzies of the crowd, images of Santa Claus and Frosty the Snowman in a winter wonderland, and the gross materialism that have obscured the significance of His incarnation.

I looked deep inside of me, trying to discover or awaken the so-called miracle in me, as what the New Agers and “feel-good” preachers foist on the unsuspecting crowd…

But I only became too acutely aware of my own sins and shortcomings and the great chasm between me and God.

I searched for the Messiah on the pages of the Scripture without the guidance of the Holy Spirit…

But I could not understand why He has not returned after leaving this planet 2,000 years ago.
I did not find the Messiah.

In fact, He was the one who found me. I was in His heart and mind before the foundation of this world. He has always loved me before the advent of time. “For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love, He predestined us to be adopted as His sons …” (Ephesians 1: 4-5).

He was thinking of me -an inconsequential sinner, when He left His glorious place in heaven to be born in a lowly manger.

His thoughts were with sinners like me headed for eternal damnation when He endured the pain, the shame, and the humiliation while hanging at the cross.

And all I ever needed was to respond to His love and grace by asking Jesus to enter my life and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.

Now, I know that the Messiah lives in me as He walks with me through the snares and vicissitudes of life. I have finally realized that He has not really left this world but the Holy Spirit continues to live in the hearts of millions of believers as His kingdom advances to the end of this age.

No comments: